Saturday, July 5, 2008

Choices bring happiness...

I've always thought that life was better when I had some say-so about it, and I've believed that there are some things that you just need to do because it's the right thing to do! But lately, the importance of having choices and the privilege of making a choice has come home to me even more.

We just had a first time mother who had several occasions during her pregnancy to choose between kinds of care, where to go for that care and who would be her care-provider. She seemed to have a peace about her each time she made her "choice". After unproductive labor for hours and hours, she was 4 cm. and we all agreed the best "choice" was to go to the hospital. The on-call ob doctor did a very wise thing--she gave our client the option to go back home or to stay and have pitocin. She chose to stay and had her baby 8 hours later.

Why do I think this was so wise and good? Because it empowered her. It gave her opportunity to still be involved and strong in the birth of her baby. It gave her the option to dig deep and bring forth the best! And she did!

I have choices everyday. Some days I just feel grumpy for no good reason. Sometimes I get totally irritated about some little thing my husband did or where he put something. I used to let this stuff eat and me and nag me into a really big pit, but then Dr. Phil posed the question, "Do you want to be happy or do you want to be right?" !!!!!! Duh! That helped me know that I have a choice about almost everything!

No comments: